Club Policies, Procedures & Protocols

• Eileen Lenkman
  • Topic Author
More
10 months 4 days ago #7075 by Eileen Lenkman
Replied by Eileen Lenkman on topic Club Policies, Procedures & Protocols
Oops, sorry, yes only ACA members can use that one.

I'll get the non-ACA member one posted there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Eileen Lenkman
  • Topic Author
More
10 months 4 days ago #7074 by Eileen Lenkman
Eleanor, I'll get this taken care of tomorrow

Eileen

• Eleanor Pardini
More
10 months 4 days ago #7073 by Eleanor Pardini
Replied by Eleanor Pardini on topic Club Policies, Procedures & Protocols
Can’t reset password on my own. It says “forbidden.”

Eileen Lenkman wrote: Eleanor, regarding your password reset on regfox.com, there is a "forgot your password" link.... doesn't it work for you?

Let me know ASAP if it doesn't and I'll contact their Tech Support to reset your password. They only work Monday - Friday (yes a drawback) so I need to ask them to do it Friday.

Attachments:

• Eleanor Pardini
More
10 months 4 days ago #7072 by Eleanor Pardini
Hi Eileen,
I only see the link to the ACA member waiver (see screenshot). When you click on the link it takes you to the member waiver and there is some small text that non-members must fill out the non member waiver and there is a web address, but it’s not live/I can’t click on it. Is it actually the same waiver form and you just fill out a single event option at the bottom? This confusion is where I got stuck last week before the kids and family float. What am I missing? Sorry if it’s totally obvious…

Regarding the waivers, we will be using the smartwaiver system for all trips in the very near future. I will be getting that set up for all trips starting after this weekend. The benefit to that is the Trip Leader and others can figure out who (if any) will need to complete a paper copy at the beginning of trip.

I intent to be writing a lot of instructions and How Tos and posting them here and on Facebook. My goal is to make all the online stuff as easy and efficient as possible. I am checking the forums ever day now to approve any pending messages. I think after someone posts three messages, they don't need approval any more but need to verify that.

Yes, password management is a pain in the you know where. I'm in IT and so have tons so I feel your pain.

I'm going to post instructions on how people can edit their profile information and I think that includes cancelling their own registrations but if it doesn't, I'll try to keep on top of that as soon as I find out.

Please keep the suggestions and comments coming!

Really appreciate it. Eileen

We do have a link to the waivers -- both the Annual Online Waiver for ACA members and non ACA member single event waivers on the Link page of this forum.[/quote]
Attachments:

• Eileen Lenkman
  • Topic Author
More
10 months 4 days ago #7071 by Eileen Lenkman
Eleanor, regarding your password reset on regfox.com, there is a "forgot your password" link.... doesn't it work for you?

Let me know ASAP if it doesn't and I'll contact their Tech Support to reset your password. They only work Monday - Friday (yes a drawback) so I need to ask them to do it Friday.

• Eileen Lenkman
  • Topic Author
More
10 months 4 days ago #7070 by Eileen Lenkman
Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful post!

Regarding the waivers, we will be using the smartwaiver system for all trips in the very near future. I will be getting that set up for all trips starting after this weekend. The benefit to that is the Trip Leader and others can figure out who (if any) will need to complete a paper copy at the beginning of trip.

I intent to be writing a lot of instructions and How Tos and posting them here and on Facebook. My goal is to make all the online stuff as easy and efficient as possible. I am checking the forums ever day now to approve any pending messages. I think after someone posts three messages, they don't need approval any more but need to verify that.

Yes, password management is a pain in the you know where. I'm in IT and so have tons so I feel your pain.

I'm going to post instructions on how people can edit their profile information and I think that includes cancelling their own registrations but if it doesn't, I'll try to keep on top of that as soon as I find out.

Please keep the suggestions and comments coming!

Really appreciate it. Eileen

We do have a link to the waivers -- both the Annual Online Waiver for ACA members and non ACA member single event waivers on the Link page of this forum.

• Kathleen Pszonka
More
10 months 4 days ago #7069 by Kathleen Pszonka
Replied by Kathleen Pszonka on topic Club Policies, Procedures & Protocols
I agree, that knowing registrants helped trip leaders plan shuttles, safety, and even allowed participants to know who is going for possible car pooling, sharing camping , etc . I appreciate all the work officers are doing to check membership and ACA status, but now I hesitate to post a casual get together, because it becomes a trip. Elenor, I appreciate your comments, as you are familiar with both processes. New people must post 3 times in the forums before their posts are automatic. The first three have to be approved by moderators manually, so it takes time.

• Eleanor Pardini
More
10 months 4 days ago #7067 by Eleanor Pardini
Hi, I'm a newer member but I got to run through sign-ups with the old system (2022) and the new system this year. Here are some thoughts:

WAIVERS
--The online waiver system is great! It's a wee bummer that the fields don't auto-populate my address when I do it on my phone but that's really not a problem. The entire waiver is really easy to fill out.
--It would be great if you could post links to both the member/annual waiver and the non-member/waivers in an easy to find spot on the club homepage. I would make an effort to fill it out in advance every time I bring my kiddos or alert friends to it if I bring a new friend along with me.

REGFOX
--I *think* I quite like regfox for registering for single events as a participant. It seems better than what I remember from the old system. I think my registration and paperwork for the clinic was much easier this year compared to last year. I had virtually nothing to do at the sign-in desk this year.
--I REALLY like the ability to pay with a credit card (which might be through the "WePay" system and not necessarily requiring regfox???).
--It IS a bummer that trip leaders and participants can't see participants, though hopefully that can be alleviated with trip leaders being added to the system and posting of trip registrants to the forums here. I do like seeing other participants for bigger events because I can see who I know, who I might be comfortable asking if I can borrow something or for advice, etc.
--I find regfox harder to use for canceling registration - seems like that has to be done via email or forum.
--My biggest difficulty with regfox has been access to my entire account so that I can see all of my registrations. I accidentally keep forgetting my password and apparently there is no way for a user to reset their own password; I think it has to be done manually by one of our admins. I'm currently locked out due to my poor password habits and memory :-(

I JUST WANT TO PADDE / COMMUNICATING / FORUMS
--Honestly, these forums are one of my biggest hurdles. I find the forum system to be a somewhat strange, foreign, cumbersome technology. I think the forums are a real hurdle for new people because there are no instructions that you need to post multiple times before your posts will actually go through. so you feel very "on the outside" and you're not sure what's going on. I still don't even know how many times a new user has to post for posts to go through and I'm not sure if it's an automatic function to finally go through or if it has to be manually approved by a real person to go through. All that is a hurdle that works against welcoming new members. I was able to tell two friends "just keep posting the same thing over and over; I can't explain it, but just do it," but if a random person who has no existing connection (like me last year) tries, then they wouldn't know that. That could be enough to keep folks away. Perhaps instructions could be posted somewhere obvious for new people. Additionally, it takes quite a few steps to log in to the website/forums on my phone after I read an email, so it's a hard technology for fast moving conversation like this one (which is why my response here is delayed).
--All this said, I *DID* learn how to use the forums, even though it's a challenge for me and not my favorite because I love y'all and think y'all are awesome and I'm willing to learn something new to participate in a fun activity with great people.
--I DO like that the forums are limited to dues-paying members to be able to post - it makes it feel safe and secure with active, engaged members rather than being in a really large, unwieldy facebook group.
--For "I just want to paddle" communication, I find Facebook communication faster and easier. Facebook groups can be set to public or private. Some private groups only allow addition after people sign up/pay dues. If folks wanted to keep the group to dues-paid members only, you could review FB group membership every 6 or 12 months and compare against the membership list. But not everyone is on Facebook.
--Overall I found the forums really workable for pop-up paddles this spring.
--I'm still all for ACA membership and waivers for scheduled, non-pop-up paddles. I'm happy to do that paperwork if it means added protection for officers and the club.

CALENDAR
I like the calendar with color codings. I did also really like the calendar of events in a big list on the home page! I can understand that might be too much to keep updated.

• Marty Koch
More
10 months 1 week ago #7047 by Marty Koch
Replied by Marty Koch on topic Club Policies, Procedures & Protocols
You have the opportunity as a trip leader to be added into the system to view registrations and print out any of the registration details you will need. Eileen or I will be more than happy to walk you through how to do this.

Ozark Paddler (AKA) Marty Koch

• Marty Koch
More
10 months 1 week ago #7046 by Marty Koch
Eileen will be adding all trip leaders in the system so that you have access. As far as being bogged down by paperwork it is much simplified since ACA change their reporting requirements. As I have explained many times, if we produce activities they do not follow ACA requirements the officers of the club are on the hook for perhaps millions of dollars should an incident occur. It is just plain and simple, either we do the paperwork and collect the $10 non ACA member fee or we stop offering what we formally called pop-up trips all together. Should an incident occur, even if the person is suing is not successful officers will each be on the hook for tens of thousands of dollars of legal expenses. As a non-officer, all you stand to lose is the club. It is quite different for the officers.

• Marty Koch
More
10 months 1 week ago #7045 by Marty Koch
Dave I entered you into the system so you could have access prior to your first trip. The offer to help you navigate the system was made at that time and still stands. We put you in as kind of the test case since you lead so many trips. You have access to the rosters and registering information for all trips on the schedule. Contact Eileen if you would like a tutorial.

• Kathleen Pszonka
More
10 months 1 week ago #7044 by Kathleen Pszonka
Replied by Kathleen Pszonka on topic Club Policies, Procedures & Protocols

Eileen Lenkman wrote: This is a place where people can comment on and discuss anything to do with club procedures, policies and protocols. I am looking into a way where someone can communicate anonymously if they wish. I am also looking into ways to create online surveys and voting. Our mailing list consists of those people who have registered on regfox.com. You can do that even if you don't want to register for a trip. Please do so if you have not already.

. I think our club is getting bogged down with paperwork, forms, trip registrations. Red Fox doesn’t allow trip leaders to know who is going on a trip without intervention of management. Simple , hey do you want to practice rolls, fish, short paddle is becoming a burdensome “ trip”, with registration to see the ACA status of participants. I just want to paddle

• Eileen Lenkman
  • Topic Author
More
10 months 1 week ago #7038 by Eileen Lenkman
Dave,

Trip Leaders will have the ability to see who have signed up. I will contact each person leading the upcoming trips and show them how to do this. You have had this ability for several months now, I believe. I will continue to update trip participants in the forum so everyone else knows who has signed up

The new system does not have forums like we are using now. That is definitely a drawback

• Dave Haessig
More
10 months 1 week ago #7036 by Dave Haessig
Replied by Dave Haessig on topic Club Policies, Procedures & Protocols
As a trip leader the old system allowed better planning. You could see who had signed up and the figure out meeting places, put in and take out and plan for better safety.

• Dave Haessig
More
10 months 1 week ago #7035 by Dave Haessig
Replied by Dave Haessig on topic Club Policies, Procedures & Protocols
As a trip leader the old system allowed better planning. You could see who had signed up and the figure out meeting places, put in and take out and plan for better safety.

• Eileen Lenkman
  • Topic Author
More
10 months 1 week ago #7033 by Eileen Lenkman
Thanks for your input Robert!

• Robert Klein
More
10 months 1 week ago #7032 by Robert Klein
One more thing about the meetup group. We want nothing at all to do with ACA. I don't want any ACA ratings or ACA or other designations that I am an expert in any facet of kayaking. The fastest way to become liable for mishaps is to present yourself as an authority or expert. We are just average kayakers, and behave as good samaritans towards each other, nothing more. We suggest people read up on coast guard rules for boating.

• Robert Klein
More
10 months 1 week ago #7031 by Robert Klein
I have been absent from most activities for the past year due to ,y knee problems and my job. I wasn't able to kayak last year due to my knee. It has been replaced 3 months ago and I went kayaking for the first time in over a year this past Thursday. I am still not back to normal. While I have been gone, I am completely clueless about the operations of the website for signing up for events. And all of the requirements. I actually started a meetup group for kayaking and we don't have any of these rules, we don't pay much attention to ACA, and we just try to go kayaking with minimum hassle like 95% of all kayakers enjoy. I am not encouraging anyone from this group to join our meetup group. The meetup group is more for beginners, people with inflatable kayaks, or sit on tops, etc. Nothing fancy.
The hardest problem we should be concerned with is shuttling. Signing up for events should be meetup easy.

• Eileen Lenkman
  • Topic Author
More
10 months 1 week ago #7030 by Eileen Lenkman
Gary,

Please tell me which functions exactly -- here or via email or call.

Thanks!

• Eileen Lenkman
  • Topic Author
More
10 months 1 week ago - 10 months 1 week ago #7029 by Eileen Lenkman
Question: Is reg.fox is the reason why I could not see who had registered for the skills clinic although I was getting the instructors to teach and putting the students into classes? ANSWER: The reason was that you did not have permissions to do so. You will in the future. I (Eileen) will be contacting each person who has a scheduled trip and give them a short training session on how to do that.
Question: Is reg.fox the reason why so many people had a registration, a membership, or a waiver for a Skills Clinic but not all 3? . ANSWER: No, the same thing has happened in the past when we were using the old system. I've been handling the registration in the past and we had the same problems. It many ways it was easier this year because people could pay all the fees online and use that smartwaiver system. We had much less paperwork at the time of registration and less money to take. Thanks to you, we will be using that smartwaiver system for all future trips.
Question: (Is there a way for reg.fox to know that you have not changed you address, phone, ACA number, email, etc. in the time it took you to fill out the forms?) ANSWER: It will be up to the individual to keep his/her information current on the website, just like under the old system. I just found out how to do that and am planning to post those instructions shortly.
QUESTION: "Will getting rid of reg.fox make it easier or harder for our club members, officers, and volunteers?" ANSWER: Speaking just for the last several years and the Skills Clinic, I have spent HOURS contacting participants mostly via email, sending them the questionnaire if they did not fill it out on line, sending them the waiver and trying to get post of those sent back to me. I have tried to make sure everyone knew exactly how much cash or check to bring with them to the Clinic. We would still have long lines at the registration/check in tables. We would still end up with people who didn't bring the cash or checkbook. I know we didn't have a lot of students this year, but I would say percentage wise, we had less people who had to do something at the check in table. Unfortunately, the online waviers is one system and Regfox is another. No way to combine both of those. The only solution is a person involved behind the scenes as soon as the trip is posted to manage everything. I intend to do that for the foreseeable future. I honestly believe that with Regfox handling the money and the smartwaiver handling the waivers -- if people choose to use them -- this will mean less paperwork and no money handling by the Trip Leader at the put in.

By thew way, I will be looking for a backup person to help me do all this. Another thing to realize that a lot of the things I am doing upfront would have to be done by the Treasurer afterwards. My other goal is to keep him happy!

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need clarification and EVERYONE, please feel free to comment on this or anything else. I need and want yoru feedback. And if you want to post something anonymously, contact someone else you trust who would be willing to post for you. I will not take offense at anything anyone says

Member Login