Annual Skills Clinic at Council Bluff June 10

• Roger Allison
More
10 months 2 weeks ago #7011 by Roger Allison
Replied by Roger Allison on topic Annual Skills Clinic at Council Bluff June 10
Eileen, I am very happy to hear that you have reserved June 15, 2024. I didn't make this year's clinic due to a schedule conflict. I will have the same conflict next year on the 2nd Saturday. I hope the tentative date holds up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• joan twillman
More
10 months 2 weeks ago #7010 by joan twillman
Replied by joan twillman on topic Annual Skills Clinic at Council Bluff June 10
I found a Stream Machine in my stuff when I got home. It is something that looks well worth having. Is it yours? Joan

• joan twillman
More
10 months 2 weeks ago #7009 by joan twillman
Thanks very much to all who came to the Skills Clinic, as well as all the people who volunteered to make it worthwhile for each participant
. Thanks Eileen, Dave Koch and Bryan Paschke. Instructors, you were wonderful! I appreciate each of you.

• Kathleen Pszonka
More
10 months 2 weeks ago #7008 by Kathleen Pszonka
Replied by Kathleen Pszonka on topic Annual Skills Clinic at Council Bluff June 10
I’m ok with no pot luck. That concession and park has been good to our club for years. It’s an opportunity for them to make a few bucks and keep them happy. I bought lunch just for that purpose. Maybe the club could help pitch in part of the costs that would usually spend on meat, condiments, plates, table ware, charcoal. It would be a win /win kathy

• Kathleen Pszonka
More
10 months 2 weeks ago #7007 by Kathleen Pszonka
Replied by Kathleen Pszonka on topic Annual Skills Clinic at Council Bluff June 10
I’m ok with no pot luck. That concession and park has been good to our club for years. It’s an opportunity for them to make a few bucks and keep them happy. I bought lunch just for that purpose. Maybe the club could help pitch in part of the costs that would usually spend on meat, condiments, plates, table ware, charcoal. It would be a win /win kathy

• Eileen Lenkman
More
10 months 2 weeks ago #7006 by Eileen Lenkman
Replied by Eileen Lenkman on topic Annual Skills Clinic at Council Bluff June 10
Thanks to everyone who made this year's clinic a success and a big shout out to a grill masters Bryan and Dave. We couldn't have had better temperatures and the rain held off until the nd.

Mark your calendars, I have already reserved the deck for next year on June 15,2024. That means we'll have the whole right hand section.

When I was talking to the concessionaire she said she was planning on having a whole meal for us this year and but it didn't work out. I was really surprised and kinda glad because, after all, we had our potluck. Then she said she'd have a big dinner all planned out for next year. I didn't quite know what to say at that point and figured I'd talk to her about it later, but I got to thinking. It would be A LOT less work to have the Skills Clinic without the potluck -- and we did do that several years ago.

So please give me your thoughts about not having a potluck next year and getting our dinner from the Concession stand. I can tone down the expectations, telling her something like expect 20 people to buy "dinner" or I just tell her, no, please don't do anything special for us.

Obviously we'll talk about this next year but while everything is fresh in your mind, please let me know what you think. Thank you! (Those of you who did not attend this year but have in the past and possibly the future, interested in hearing from you too.)

Thanks! Eileen

• Louise Bullock
More
10 months 3 weeks ago #7002 by Louise Bullock
Replied by Louise Bullock on topic Annual Skills Clinic at Council Bluff June 10
Seems like everyone is just going to drive themselves, so I will do likewise. See you tomorrow morning at Council Bluff!

• Eileen Lenkman
More
10 months 3 weeks ago #7001 by Eileen Lenkman
Replied by Eileen Lenkman on topic Annual Skills Clinic at Council Bluff June 10
For those of you bringing food for the potluck, please bring serving utensils if applicable. Would be a good idea to label or at least stick a post it note with tape on all of your containers, lids and u

• joan twillman
More
10 months 3 weeks ago #7000 by joan twillman
If you are interested in carpooling, please find the time that works for you to get to the Council Bluff area at about 8:30 a.m. (I cannot carpool this time and felt a bit funny about starting this conversation.)

• Louise Bullock
More
10 months 3 weeks ago #6999 by Louise Bullock
Replied by Louise Bullock on topic Annual Skills Clinic at Council Bluff June 10
I am interested in carpooling. It doesn’t look like you are getting many responses. I’m wondering if it’s because of the 6 o’clock meetup time. It is a 2 Hour drive from Gravois and I 270.

• joan twillman
More
10 months 3 weeks ago #6998 by joan twillman
Just a reminder that the club will provide burgers, brats, dogs, and veggie burgers for the potluck. This group has a tradition of good food. Please bring a dish to share if you will be staying for dinner.

• joan twillman
More
10 months 3 weeks ago #6997 by joan twillman
The commuter lot at 270 and Gravois is where we usually meet when we choose to carpool. This forum is a good place to get a discussion started if you would like to share a ride. 6 AM would be a good meeting time.

• Kathleen Pszonka
More
10 months 3 weeks ago #6996 by Kathleen Pszonka
It’s a good idea to mark all your gear with a marking pen , or tape with your name . Nose plugs are useful too.
Kathy

• Dave Haessig
More
10 months 4 weeks ago #6989 by Dave Haessig
Replied by Dave Haessig on topic Annual Skills Clinic at Council Bluff June 10
Lesliie.have 2 boats you can use. Let me know if you need paddles and life jackets.I am out on a extended paddle on the Missouri River and I am in and out of cell service. Text me at 314 304 7970 and we can discuss options on boats.

• leslie keuss
More
10 months 4 weeks ago #6987 by leslie keuss
Replied by leslie keuss on topic Annual Skills Clinic at Council Bluff June 10
Hello! New members here looking to borrow kayaks for the skills clinic. My 10 year old kiddo and I both need a boat. I live in Maplewood and would be happy to pickup if needed. Thank you!

• leslie keuss
More
10 months 4 weeks ago #6985 by leslie keuss
Replied by leslie keuss on topic Annual Skills Clinic at Council Bluff June 10
My 10 year old kiddo and I are attending the skills clinic and we both hope to borrow a boat. I live in Maplewood and would be happy to pickup if needed. Thank you!

• Eileen Lenkman
More
10 months 4 weeks ago #6977 by Eileen Lenkman
Doug
If you follow the signs to the Swimming Beach, you'll get to the right place.

Eileen

• Douglas Moore
More
10 months 4 weeks ago #6976 by Douglas Moore
Replied by Douglas Moore on topic Annual Skills Clinic at Council Bluff June 10
I signed up. Let me know if you do not get it. Also, is there a name or address for the pavilion I can use for GPS? - Doug Moore

• Eileen Lenkman
More
11 months 1 week ago - 10 months 3 weeks ago #6951 by Eileen Lenkman
Participant List as of 6/8

If your name is not on the list below and I have not contacted you via email or text, please contact me (Eileen) ASAP at 636-922-3663. Although actually, a text is preferable if you don't mind. I get a lot of junk calls and don't answer ones I don't recognize.

First Name Last Name
Louise Bullock
Jeff Clawges
GARY DACUS
Gigi DeLuca
Heidi Devitt
Myron Dierks
Deborah Dyle
Shawn Farmer
Tamera Fitzgerald
Heather Grove
Jefferson Hunt
Leslie Keuss
Louis Keuss
Patrick Kinlen
Douglas Moore
Dustin Oppelt
Eleanor Pardini
Oliver Pardini-Dunn
Dennis Pierce
Barry Poulton
Kate Reese
David Waddill
Leezel Zamidar
Julie Zimmermann

• Eleanor Pardini
  • Topic Author
More
11 months 1 week ago #6940 by Eleanor Pardini
Annual Skills Clinic at Council Bluff June 10 was created by Eleanor Pardini
Starting a thread for the skills clinic...

From the event page: Annual skills clinic for paddlers of all abilities and skill levels. This is the most fun! Strokes, techniques for speed or endurance, rescues, and a host of other interesting stuff. You may be able to try out different boats, paddles, and equipment. We will meet at the pavilion by the lake. There is a $5 per vehicle day use fee.

Bring the boat you use. Bring the safety equipment you have. Non-cotton clothes, sunglasses with a strap, hat, paddle, life jacket, water, a chair, sunscreen, shoes, and a spray skirt if you have one, food and beverages for lunch OR approx. $10 for purchasing a lunch at the concession stand. If you plan of joining in on the optional potluck dinner at the end of the event, please bring a dish to share at supper. Club will provide hot dogs, brats, hamburgers and vegie burgers. Non-Alcoholic Beverages Only while on the water!

Students will be grouped by skill level. Camping is available in the recreation area for those wishing to make a weekend of it.

Member Login