Mississippi River Fall Foliage Paddle 10/15

• Eileen Lenkman
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 6 months ago #6459 by Eileen Lenkman
Replied by Eileen Lenkman on topic Mississippi River Fall Foliage Paddle 10/15
Hideaway Harbor on the Missouri side.

Assuming you are coming from St Charles on Highway 94, take a left on Grafton Ferry Road. Take a right on Portage Road and travel for 6 miles.

You will be turning left on Sioux Drive, but there is no street sign or park sign. When you see the industrial buildings in the distance, slow down. If you get to Weber Lake Road, you've gone too far.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Robert Washburn
1 year 6 months ago #6458 by Robert Washburn
Replied by Robert Washburn on topic Mississippi River Fall Foliage Paddle 10/15
Clarification. Are we Launching at Hideaway Harbor on the Missouri Side, or the facility a Piasa Creek on the Illinois side?

• Eileen Lenkman
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 6 months ago #6452 by Eileen Lenkman
Thanks for everyone's input!

Right now the wind prediction is "light and variable" on Saturday which could mean anything. At this time, I think we should keep it simple and plan on meeting at Hideaway Harbor at 10am. I will update the trip description to that. Bring your lunch, snacks, drinks -- maybe a hot drink in a thermos. Wear layers and a waterproof jacket -- if its windy, there could be blowing spray.

Robert, maybe someone can lead a trip down from Pere Marquette in the next couple weeks when the colors are even better. This is the only day I can do it.

• Dennis Pierce
More
1 year 6 months ago #6451 by Dennis Pierce
Replied by Dennis Pierce on topic Mississippi River Fall Foliage Paddle 10/15
I am good to go on the trip as long as I can be off the water and at my car by 3 pm (in order to honor a previous commitment.

• Robert Washburn
1 year 6 months ago #6447 by Robert Washburn
Another option with a strong north wind is to launch in Grafton and go South. Might make for a very quick trip though. I actually like the run from Pere Marquette down to Grafton better. Much less traffic and a bit more sheltered.

• Kathleen Pszonka
More
1 year 6 months ago #6446 by Kathleen Pszonka
Replied by Kathleen Pszonka on topic Mississippi River Fall Foliage Paddle 10/15
Right now predicted 10-12 mph wind gusts for Saturday. 15 miles in Mississippi R pool is much slower than the Missouri R with current. I’ve paddled upstream in that area with Joan and it’s very doable. Kathy

• joan twillman
More
1 year 6 months ago #6445 by joan twillman
Replied by joan twillman on topic Mississippi River Fall Foliage Paddle 10/15
There is very little current right now as you expected. The wind is a bigger unknown and has been ferocious this year at times. It is about 4 miles upstream to Grafton. The bluffs can be visible from Hideaway all the way to Grafton.

• Eileen Lenkman
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 6 months ago #6444 by Eileen Lenkman
All

Will be finalizing plans for this paddle on Friday morning and reaching out to all registered via text. Will publish exact details here, in the trip description, and via text message to you. We have two choices:
1) An all day 15 mile paddle down the Mississippi River. Start time 9:am

2) Meet at 10am at Hideaway Harbor and paddle upstream towards Grafton until we can see the bluffs. As low as the river is, paddling upstream should not be an issue. Maybe we could actually go to Grafton and do lunch at the Loading Dock. With this option, we're not committed to a day long paddle like we are with option one. What do you think? Again, I'll reach out to all of you via text no later than Friday morning or feel free to text or call me at your leisure at 636-922-3663. Texting is actually better because if I don't know your number, I may not answer. :-)

• Dennis Pierce
More
1 year 6 months ago #6443 by Dennis Pierce
Replied by Dennis Pierce on topic Mississippi River Fall Foliage Paddle 10/15
Eileen,

What is the start time for this trip, and approximately when would it end?

• Robert Washburn
1 year 6 months ago #6442 by Robert Washburn
Where is Lenkman's Landing? Is that where the group is meeting to set up the shuttle?

• Eileen Lenkman
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 6 months ago #6439 by Eileen Lenkman
Mississippi River Fall Foliage Paddle 10/15 was created by Eileen Lenkman
There will be a 15 mile Fall Foliage paddle on the Mississippi River on October 15. We will leave from Lenkman's Landing in St Charles and paddle down to Hideaway Harbor.

This is for intermediate paddlers with at least 14' boats.

There will be another Fall Foliage paddle for beginners scheduled soon.

Member Login