Common Adventure Models: Philosophical and Legal background

• Eileen Lenkman
  • Topic Author
More
6 months 3 days ago #7456 by Eileen Lenkman
Dave

Thank you very much for your analysis!

We are currently upgrading our website and there will be a page specifically for the Common Adventure explanation as well as a page for Trips that explains both types.

We are working on a club specific version of the Common Adventure model like the Carolina Canoe Club's. I received permission from the author, Ron Watters, to both use his model and create our own club version.

I will certainly be asking all Trip Coordinators of Common Adventure trips to remind people exactly what type of trip this is.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• David Dickson
More
6 months 3 days ago #7454 by David Dickson
I have read all these papers by Mr. Watters, and I think the Club should embrace this concept as other paddle clubs have done. Club officers and members are rightfully concerned about potential liability if someone gets injured during a paddle trip. And I think the club is doing the right things to protect everyone with a three sided defense: Insurance for club sponsored events, waivers/releases for all club trips, and embracing the common adventure model for pop-up trips. I think for this last defense to work we should remind all participants to pop ups (trips not associated with or sponsored by the club), that the event is NOT a club trip, but is a "common adventure" trip and everyone participates at their own risk. In fact, it's probably a good idea to periodically remind members that participation in all club activities are at their own risk. I see that Pop Up trips are now Common Adventure trips on the website. Perhaps it would be a good idea to state on that web page that "a common adventure trip is two or more individuals working cooperatively for common goals, and sharing expenses, decision making, and responsibilities as equitably as possible" and that by participation in C.A. trips the participant assumes the risk of injury or death.

I no longer have access to Westlaw/Lexis, so I've not been able to determine whether the "common adventure" model alone has been successfully used as a defense in litigation, and if anyone does have Westlaw/Lexis I'd be interested to know. But I believe it can certainly help as support for the assumption of risk defense.

Also, if we're going to promote the common adventure model in our club, I think we should consider bringing the issue up often at club meetings, i.e., remind members that pop-up trips are undertaken under that model and that everyone assumes the risk when they participate in them. And perhaps have a tab/link on our website for more information on what C.A. is and means.

• Eileen Lenkman
  • Topic Author
More
6 months 1 week ago #7435 by Eileen Lenkman
I heard back from Ron Watters, the author of the Common Adventure model and he gave me the following links on papers he published

Common Adventure: A Brief Description, Definition, and Questions and Answers" www.ronwatters.com/common.htm

(An informational sheet used by the Idaho State University Outdoor Program which is a helpful, non-technical overview of the common adventure concept).

"The Common Adventure Model of Outdoor Programming: Philosophical Foundations, Definition and the Effect of Filtering" www.ronwatters.com/CADefine.htm

(Appeared in Proceedings of the 13th Annual International Conference on Outdoor Recreation and Education)

"Revisiting the Common Adventure Concept: An Annotated Review of the
Literature, Misconceptions and Contemporary Perspectives"
www.ronwatters.com/CALitReview.htm

(Appeared in: Proceedings of the 13th Annual International Conference on Outdoor Recreation and Education)

There is a lot of good information on Ron's webpage: www.ronwatters.com/ It includes a really good list of Outdoor Literature

Member Login