October Meeting -- ACA & Insurance Discussion

• Kathleen Pszonka
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #7417 by Kathleen Pszonka
Replied by Kathleen Pszonka on topic October Meeting -- ACA & Insurance Discussion
I talked to Crystal today from ACA insurance department. She will send me a clarification by email, in writing , as to what they actually cover. They do cover administration, but she had no idea what administration meant. She said no one ever asked her that before. It does not cover board members of a club. She has another policy available to cover board members and will clarify what administrative means and exactly what the policy covers. I expressed our concern of losing younger members with families, with the abandonment of family memberships. She will forward that to her management as well. I should have some answers by the end of this week, which I’ll post here. Kathy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Eileen Lenkman
  • Topic Author
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #7416 by Eileen Lenkman
Replied by Eileen Lenkman on topic October Meeting -- ACA & Insurance Discussion
Kathy

I am getting information from both ACA and Paddlesports Risk Management about this.

Please wait before you do anything else.

• Gary Strohmeyer
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #7415 by Gary Strohmeyer
Replied by Gary Strohmeyer on topic October Meeting -- ACA & Insurance Discussion
Well, we have adequate income for our needs, just not enough to cover third party insurance without raising our fee.

• Kathleen Pszonka
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #7414 by Kathleen Pszonka
Replied by Kathleen Pszonka on topic October Meeting -- ACA & Insurance Discussion
$800 is a lot to pay as a club when we have no income. After 2 episodes where paddlers were non compliant on a trip, wearing PFD, wearing shoes at a put in, take out, after multiple requests, I’m beginning to see the value of insurance. By the way, I left 2 requests to ACA insurance representative and no call back. Are club members willing to pay a higher yearly membership to cover increased costs ?

• Gary Strohmeyer
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #7413 by Gary Strohmeyer
Replied by Gary Strohmeyer on topic October Meeting -- ACA & Insurance Discussion
The Paddlesport Insurance also requires submission of signed waivers and a post event report sheet. The ACA only requires those if a non-ACA member participated.

Also a closer reading of the ACA insurance agreement seems to state that officers and trip leaders have liability coverage. I think we need somebody that understands the where-fores and where-as's of insurance speak to examine that document.

• Eileen Lenkman
  • Topic Author
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #7412 by Eileen Lenkman
Replied by Eileen Lenkman on topic October Meeting -- ACA & Insurance Discussion
Kathy,

If we stay with ACA -- which is the cheapest -- that means we also continue with the need for waivers and insurance fees for non-members for each trip. That also requires a lot of tracking in the background by someone -- either before or after the paddle. You have been the most vocal critic of ACA's requirements. Are you now considering staying with ACA and their requirements if they do in fact have the insurance we require?

• Kathleen Pszonka
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #7411 by Kathleen Pszonka
I’ve left a voicemail request to the ACA insurance coordinator. I hope to speak with her to get some real answers as what they provide. Once I talk with her, I’ll ask to clarify it in writing and post it here. Kathy Pszonka

• Robert Klein
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #7410 by Robert Klein
Replied by Robert Klein on topic October Meeting -- ACA & Insurance Discussion
I agree that we need to see who/how is covered by insurance. I listed my kayaks with my homeowners insurance as they told me that liability is the responsibility of the boat owner. I agree with Eileen on dropping the term leader, and replacing it with coordinator. I actually like it when I have direct connection to the insurance company instead of an intermediary association. How do we initiate a claim?

• Kathleen Pszonka
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #7409 by Kathleen Pszonka
Could you elaborate? It’s important to really know what these two insurance options cover .

• Robert Klein
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #7408 by Robert Klein
Replied by Robert Klein on topic October Meeting -- ACA & Insurance Discussion
The longer you insist on calling yourself a "leader" the more you will need to purchase your own liability insurance policy. If you have never been in a liability lawsuit, you should go watch one. All defendants are trying to disassociate from each other. That means, ACA's insurance company will try to distance themselves from you. Their gotcha' requirement
clauses will invalidate your coverage.

• Kathleen Pszonka
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #7407 by Kathleen Pszonka
I’ve been looking at the ACA club policy. It said it covers administrators. I would think that means board members. If that’s the case, why spend $800 for another insurance ? I don’t especially like the ACA , but their $200/ year is a bargain in comparison. americancanoe.org/insurance/

Kathy

• Natalie Johnson
7 months 2 days ago #7378 by Natalie Johnson
Replied by Natalie Johnson on topic October Meeting -- ACA & Insurance Discussion
Thank you, Eileen, for your thorough efforts! I like the hybrid ACA approach with third-party insurance. Additionally, I am strongly in favor of insurance coverage for both board members and trip leaders. Personally, I've hesitated to take on a leadership role due to the absence of such protection. I believe that having a policy safeguarding leaders will help attract more volunteers.

• Eileen Lenkman
  • Topic Author
More
7 months 3 days ago #7375 by Eileen Lenkman
October Meeting -- ACA & Insurance Discussion was created by Eileen Lenkman
Hello Paddlers

As most of you know, there has been a lot of discussion on whether or not this club should stay in the ACA and follow their costly (for individuals) and bureaucratic requirements. We have been looking at alternatives for the last year -- and thank you Kathy for your efforts in this. I wanted to give you an update since this is something we'll be discussing and voting on at the next meeting -- and via email survey.

What I have found so far is that none of the clubs I've approached has been applying the ACA requirements to all their trips like we have. Instead, they have moved to a hybrid approach.

They stay in the ACA (it's less then $200 per year) but only follow the requirements for instructional and safety clinics. In our case, that would be for our Skills and Moving Water Clinics. No fees or waivers are required for all the other trips for club members.

They do have third party insurance to cover their trip leaders and officers because if they didn't, no one would volunteer. And indeed, I have had members of our own club say the same thing.

I think this approach sounds pretty good, but, there is an important consideration: third party insurance is costly. Our only yearly income is from our membership dues. Now, we have money in the bank to cover this for a few years, but, it will probably become an issue in the future.

I've gotten a couple quotes and am still going through them. I'll have this information ready for the October meeting.

I appreciate any input or feedback you would like to give now. You can post them here or email me: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Thank you.

Eileen

Member Login