The future of the club

• joan twillman
More
1 year 6 months ago #6441 by joan twillman
Replied by joan twillman on topic The future of the club
I am delighted to see younger people expressing an interest in this amazing club. November is going to bring a very interesting meeting. From my experience, I recommend in-person attendance rather than Zoom
to anyone who can make it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ollie Langhorst
More
1 year 6 months ago #6440 by Ollie Langhorst
Replied by Ollie Langhorst on topic The future of the club
I'd like to know more about what VP role entails. It breaks my heart to think that the club would fold right now...I just started making friends with everyone! However, I completely understand that the existing leadership is likely fatigued from carrying the torch for so long, and it isn't fair to keep asking that of them.

My concerns about stepping into a stronger leadership role within the club are:
1. My lack of experience as a paddler. While I likely have the skills, experience, tools/techniques to help run the club, I think my credibility as a leader would suffer due to not having nearly enough time behind the paddle. There are some seriously big shoes to fill in that respect!

2. Time commitment. I have to travel occasionally for my work, and sometimes I have unexpected work pop up in the evenings/weekends. This could cause me to have to bail on events at the last minute - which could lead to a perception of the club being "flaky", which I wouldn't want. I also have two young teenagers - so you can imagine that also adds some complexity to my schedule.

3. Lack of stronger relationships with existing club members. If I were to become a leader within the club, how would that be received? Would it be a case of "Who is this guy?" Being able to ask fellow club members to help volunteer with event tasks goes a lot smoother when people know me and have paddled with me before.

If anyone in current leadership wants to discuss more, I'm happy to discuss here or take it offline and maybe meet at Simpson/Creve Coeur lake and talk more. Otherwise, I will try and make the November mtg. Closing thought is this: A club that doesn't do as many events as it does right now is better than no club at all.
Regards,
Ollie

• Kathleen Pszonka
More
1 year 6 months ago #6438 by Kathleen Pszonka
Replied by Kathleen Pszonka on topic The future of the club
I spoke with Brian today and I’m willing to assume as Secretary if he wants to give it up, with a busier work schedule. I’m willing to continue as a moderator of the website, and help moderate the Facebook page, with hopes of making it more of a place where everyone would be able to participate, post photos , engaging others in conversations , etc. Kathy Pszonka

• Eileen Lenkman
More
1 year 6 months ago #6437 by Eileen Lenkman
Replied by Eileen Lenkman on topic The future of the club
Marty,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

• Marty Koch
More
1 year 6 months ago #6436 by Marty Koch
Replied by Marty Koch on topic The future of the club
I will be presenting a plan to move the club forward at the November meeting. It will address leadership, membership, trips, IT issues, social activities and more. I believe the club is worth continuing as an independent organization. If the membership is in favor I would be interested in taking on the presidency role for a year or two in order to get us back on track.

Ozark Paddler (AKA) Marty Koch

• Robert Klein
More
1 year 6 months ago #6434 by Robert Klein
Replied by Robert Klein on topic The future of the club
One more thing... I had intended to go the meeting last night, but ended up spending the night taking beer showers in the Bevo Bud plant trying to fix a production line that was acting crazy. And, my machines were causing the problem...

• Gary Strohmeyer
More
1 year 6 months ago #6433 by Gary Strohmeyer
Replied by Gary Strohmeyer on topic The future of the club
Dave,
Skipping over the people with limited memberships I counted around 177 paid up members in the club this year. Of course we know that only some fraction of those are actually active in the club, still that leaves a substantial pool of talent from which to recruit new officers.
Gary

• Robert Klein
More
1 year 6 months ago #6432 by Robert Klein
Replied by Robert Klein on topic The future of the club
I think the club has gotten too ACA-centric. I'm not a big fan of ACA. It also seems to have splintered up into different sub-groups such as Mississippi water trails. I haven't been able to kayak much lately due to my bad knee and associated pain makes it impossible to brace properly in my sit-in kayaks. And, because of my knee, I can't go on camping trips, etc. I would not vote to dissolve and move to the Mississippi Water Trail group. That seems to be centered on a single purpose. I would vote to have less meetings, especially in the winter. I, for one, am not at all interested in rolling kayaks and other aerobatic maneuvers, or paddling in freezing cold water in the middle of winter. I recently joined a kayak meet-up group that likes doing boring floats. One where it is better to chill while floating, than being pumped full with adrenaline.

• Marty Koch
More
1 year 6 months ago #6431 by Marty Koch
Replied by Marty Koch on topic The future of the club
Please explain this? I attended meetings after last November and did not hear a thing about this. I know I've been gone for the summer but this completely blind side of me. WTH is going on?

Ozark Paddler (AKA) Marty Koch

• Dave Haessig
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 6 months ago #6430 by Dave Haessig
The future of the club was created by Dave Haessig
Because no one was will to step up to take officer positions, a resolution to dissolve the club and move the assets of the club to the Mississippi River Water trail was made with a vote during the November meeting. It was decided to give club members a month to come up with ideas to revitalize the club and present it at the November meeting. The resolution also stated the current club officers would be able to stay in their position for one month. People need to come to the November meeting with ideas.

Member Login