"Beginner" river run recommendations near STL?

• Dave Levin
  • Topic Author
1 year 10 months ago #6256 by Dave Levin
Replied by Dave Levin on topic "Beginner" river run recommendations near STL?
Thanks, Randy---

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Randy Morgart
More
1 year 10 months ago #6255 by Randy Morgart
Replied by Randy Morgart on topic "Beginner" river run recommendations near STL?
The Lakeside 370 Park Of Kampsville Rd has options, you can paddle up Dardenne Creek distance depends on height of the MS River. You can also paddle upstream up the slough depending on your comfort level and the number of power boats. I wouldn't recommend paddling into the open water of the Mississippi until you've learned some rescues and can go with a group the first few times.
SYOTW
Randy

• Dave Levin
  • Topic Author
1 year 10 months ago #6250 by Dave Levin
Replied by Dave Levin on topic "Beginner" river run recommendations near STL?
Thanks to you both---

• joan twillman
More
1 year 10 months ago #6249 by joan twillman
Replied by joan twillman on topic "Beginner" river run recommendations near STL?
Dave, the trips on this St. Louis Canoe and Kayak Club calendar are a perfect place for you to start. You may want to ask the trip leader if your boat is reasonable for the river and the current conditions if a type of boat is not specified. One of the prettiest trips on the Mississippi is an out and back at Hideaway Harbor. That was on Dave Haessig's list. No shuttle required. Just grab a couple of friends and stay fairly near the Missouri shore going up. The channel is very close to the Illinois shore and you do not have to go anywhere near it to have a great trip. Check the wind before you go. Stay home if it is 15 mph or higher. If the fish are jumping move away from the shore 15 or 20 feet.

• Dave Haessig
More
1 year 10 months ago #6245 by Dave Haessig
Replied by Dave Haessig on topic "Beginner" river run recommendations near STL?
I would recommend all the trips in this article.
www.stlcanoekayak.com/index.php/info/19-day-trips-around-st-louis

• Dave Levin
  • Topic Author
1 year 10 months ago #6243 by Dave Levin
Hey all,
As a new paddler this season with a few safety classes now under my belt, I'm ready to progress from lakes to moving current. Does anyone have a recommendation on where I might begin? Meramec runs? MO river? Other?

One note: the material of my only kayak (so far) does not lend itself well to rocky bottoms, so I'd appreciate recommendations where the water has sufficient depth so as to not risk too many rocky bottom hits.

Any suggestions along with in/out points will be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Dave

Member Login