North Fork of the White Trip Aug 12th & 13th

• Dave Haessig
  • Topic Author
More
9 months 3 days ago #7172 by Dave Haessig
Replied by Dave Haessig on topic North Fork of the White Trip Aug 12th & 13th
I suggested 2 camp grounds as Twin Bridges has rental cabins, RV hook up a restaurant and showers fir those who do not have lots of camping gear or prefer not roughing it. Hammond is a campground that is baic surrounded by old growth trees but also away from lights to view the meteor shower. Both campgrounds are good depending on ones preference. I will post directions and information for meeting up and shuttles closer to the trip when I know water levels and exactly what sections we will paddle.
This trip is appropriate for most boats except long sea kayaks and composite boats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Deborah Dyle
More
9 months 4 days ago #7171 by Deborah Dyle
Replied by Deborah Dyle on topic North Fork of the White Trip Aug 12th & 13th
Thanks Eileen. I think i will be fine, I will keep my reservations, and meet up with everyone Saturday Morning. I feel better already! Thank you, Kathy and Joan fir reaching out!

• Deborah Dyle
More
9 months 4 days ago #7170 by Deborah Dyle
Thanks Joan. Kathy and Eileen both reached out. I will be there. :) i am very much looking forward to this trip, and the wonderful company of all the club members.

• Briana Conley
More
9 months 4 days ago #7168 by Briana Conley
Replied by Briana Conley on topic North Fork of the White Trip Aug 12th & 13th
Hi Deborah - I'm new to the club myself and I second the notion that you're in very good hands. I can be painfully shy, but everyone has been very kind, helpful, patient...all the good things!

I do have some extra camping gear - most of my stuff is very small and lightweight because I was an avid backpacker before I got into paddling. If you need advice or there's something you're missing that you need to borrow, text me at 314.956.2990.

Also, there's no question to basic to be asked, we were all newbies once and some of us still are - myself included :)

• joan twillman
More
9 months 4 days ago #7167 by joan twillman
Replied by joan twillman on topic North Fork of the White Trip Aug 12th & 13th
Debbie, You are in good hands. This is the perfect group to get as much or as little help as you like. Have a wonderful trip. It is a stunning river.

• Kathleen Pszonka
More
9 months 4 days ago #7166 by Kathleen Pszonka
Replied by Kathleen Pszonka on topic North Fork of the White Trip Aug 12th & 13th
Deborah, give me a call and I can answer your questions. I’m retired. Kathy 3144023038

• Eileen Lenkman
More
9 months 4 days ago #7165 by Eileen Lenkman
Replied by Eileen Lenkman on topic North Fork of the White Trip Aug 12th & 13th
Deborah, are you available to talk this evening? I work nights but will be available to talk around 10pm.

Your first overnight is scary but there are plenty of people who will help you out. We can talk things through this evening too -- or some other time if it's not convenient.

Eileen

• Deborah Dyle
More
9 months 4 days ago #7164 by Deborah Dyle
I am actually rethinking this whole thing at this point. It is kind of hard jumping from doing the skill clinic into a trip like this. Not sure if I am ready, not sure if I have the right boat, and if so which one to bring. I do not currently have a long boat, so if everyone is doing long boats I may be to slow to keep up with group. I am not sure what or where Hammond is, and why everyone is staying there rather than where the post gave us. As this was one of the trips that did not require a lot more experience and a longer kayak than what I have available I signed up months ago for the campsite. I had no camping gear, so have had to invest in that but I am still pretty basic with the set up. I have sort of know a few people from the club, for sure still a newbie. Now that I have a kayak that fits in my RAV and can go to work with me, maybe I can start going to the WEDs night paddles and meet more people. I guess these questions will work their way out. LOL.

• Deborah Dyle
More
9 months 4 days ago #7163 by Deborah Dyle
I don't think so. I already paid, and there is no refund. But, I am okay if you want to go to Hammond.

• dorine johnson
More
9 months 5 days ago #7162 by dorine johnson
Replied by dorine johnson on topic North Fork of the White Trip Aug 12th & 13th
Hi everyone I talked to is camping at hammond. Would you consider changing and camping there? I share a site with u.

• Eileen Lenkman
More
9 months 6 days ago #7159 by Eileen Lenkman
For all the first timers in this group, we frequently finish the weekend by having great barbecue at Mo Hicks in Cuba on the way home on Sunday afternoon.

It's a bit more challenging for vegetarians but they'll work with you.

• Deborah Dyle
More
9 months 6 days ago #7156 by Deborah Dyle
Great with sharing camp site! I don't know if I can haul two kayaks. I have a basic rack and cross bar with pads on top of my Rav 4. I do have one set of j hooks I hVe never used, because I don't think I can get a kayak up top onto them by myself. Lol. If we can work out the logistics for riding together that would be great!

• dorine johnson
More
9 months 1 week ago #7154 by dorine johnson
Do you want to ride together?

• dorine johnson
More
9 months 1 week ago #7153 by dorine johnson
Deborah I will camp with you. :) it's going to be great.

• Deborah Dyle
More
9 months 1 week ago #7151 by Deborah Dyle
I am camping at twin bridge. I am also coming by myself. I will be arriving on Friday afternoon and going home Sunday afternoon.

• Deborah Dyle
More
9 months 1 week ago #7149 by Deborah Dyle
Sorry to attach on to your message, but couldn't see how to start a new thread. I am booked into the campground fir Friday and Saturday night. Did not know that there were multiple sites people were staying at. They do allow mire than one car and tent, so if anyone wants to share my campsite there is plenty of room. This is my first trip with you all since the skill training clinic. Looking forward to it, but also a little nervous. My most recent anxiety is what if I go and never find the group....lol. if you see a confused older woman wandering around in a black rav 4 with illinois plate....SAY HI and point me in the right direction!

• Karla Pashia
More
9 months 1 week ago #7128 by Karla Pashia
Replied by Karla Pashia on topic North Fork of the White Trip Aug 12th & 13th
Thanks Eileen. See you there.

• Dave Haessig
  • Topic Author
More
9 months 1 week ago #7127 by Dave Haessig
Replied by Dave Haessig on topic North Fork of the White Trip Aug 12th & 13th
There is also a trail from the campground to a nice large gravel bar on the river to watch the sky.

• Dennis Strubberg
More
9 months 1 week ago #7125 by Dennis Strubberg
Replied by Dennis Strubberg on topic North Fork of the White Trip Aug 12th & 13th
Jim, The best place is the parking lot for the river access. Me and Robin watched the stars there a couple years ago. You get a clear view without any trees in the way. Just have to hope for no clouds.

• Eileen Lenkman
More
9 months 1 week ago #7124 by Eileen Lenkman
Karla

We don’t have firm plans yet but I want to set my tent up when it’s still light so leaving mid afternoon at the latest

Member Login