Mississippi River Slough Night Paddle - September 16th

• Deborah Dyle
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #7354 by Deborah Dyle
I am not sure whether I will be able to do this paddle or not. I had already signed up for the Cuivre River race that morning. While it’s only 8 miles, as you know there is not much current, which will be great when paddling up to Flatwood but not so much coming back. Lol. I actually think I might be rested up enough to do the evening paddle, but not sure I will want to drive all the way back to the area again. I will try. I got to do a sunset paddle on the Mississippi last night and it was wonderful!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Eileen Lenkman
  • Topic Author
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #7353 by Eileen Lenkman
Replied by Eileen Lenkman on topic Mississippi River Slough Night Paddle - September 16th
Gary

We have to reschedule this trip. Randy is our guide and he has an emergency work situation.

Eileen

• Gary Palmer
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #7351 by Gary Palmer
I Plan on being there

• Eileen Lenkman
  • Topic Author
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #7344 by Eileen Lenkman
Replied by Eileen Lenkman on topic Mississippi River Slough Night Paddle - September 16th
If people are interested in carpooling, we can meet at my house in St Peters earlier in the evening. I can carry 6 boats and 3-4 people.

• Eileen Lenkman
  • Topic Author
More
7 months 3 weeks ago - 7 months 3 weeks ago #7343 by Eileen Lenkman
Mississippi River Slough Evening Paddle - Saturday, September 16th at 7pm.

I've not been able to get my act together enough to get this trip on the Calendar as an official trip so I'm turning it into a popup.

This will be an evening paddle on the sloughs of the Mississippi River off the Cuivre Island Conservation Area on Dalbow Road off Highway 79. Access from Hwy 70 in St Charles. Just put Cuivre Island Conservation Area in Google Maps and you'll find it.

Link to the boat ramp: goo.gl/maps/14miuSCEJJD6yp6L6

We will not be on the Mississippi River proper but rather the backwaters. This trip is being geared towards beginners but your boat must be at least 12 foot or longer. If your boat is shorter but you really want to go, post here and maybe someone can lend you one. This will be an "out and back" paddle and last a couple hours as we'll be paddling at a leisurely pace. It's a unique experience and we won't be in any hurry.

You are required to have at least one white light on your boat and that can be as simple as a flashlight tucked in your rigging or a glow stick hung from your bow and/or stern. Or you can have fun with this and put a camping lantern in your bow to illuminate the boat from within or buy glow in the dark bracelets or necklaces to adorn your rigging. Some people have been known to drape their boats (or themselves) with battery powered Christmas lights.

Please do not plan on using super powerful headlamps that will blind your fellow paddlers -- although red lights are okay. You will want those headlamps after your paddle when you are strapping your boat back on your car or trailer in the dark. Remember that the lights will attract whatever bugs there are so that is another incentive to not use headlamps. Please do not plan on using your phone flashlight. Your phone is best kept safely in a water proof bag on this trip.

Wear appropriate clothing for the temperature and bring bug spray just in case. Bring drinks and snacks and you might want to have a change of clothing and a towel in your car, just in case. Like any trip, PFDs are required and no alcohol.

Again, it is a unique and fun experience paddling in the dark but we will be especially safety conscious on this trip. If you have any questions, please post here and again, sorry for the short notice.

Eileen

Member Login