Marine Radio Suggestions

• Kathleen Pszonka
More
8 months 3 weeks ago #7207 by Kathleen Pszonka
Replied by Kathleen Pszonka on topic Marine Radio Suggestions
Where would the radios be used? What bodies of water? Where would the radios be stored for use to make them accessible to trip leaders? I’ve had Uiden, West Marine , and Cobra. Cobra lasted the longest. Would they be used only for club events?
I know Randy, Dave Dickson, Dave H, Matt, Craig, Joan ,maybe Jan, and I already have VHF radios
Kathy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dave Haessig
More
8 months 3 weeks ago #7205 by Dave Haessig
Replied by Dave Haessig on topic Marine Radio Suggestions
You want to make sure they are water proof and float.

• Ollie Langhorst
More
8 months 3 weeks ago #7204 by Ollie Langhorst
Replied by Ollie Langhorst on topic Marine Radio Suggestions
I have my ham radio license and can vouch for the quality of Icom radios. Agree with Kathy - we will be hard pressed to find a quality radio in a fun color. Text me our budget and I can spec out a couple of options - I figure we want at least ~12 hour battery life and need the radio to float. 5watts should be enough power for what we are doing, unless we want to pay a lot more.

• Kathleen Pszonka
More
8 months 3 weeks ago #7202 by Kathleen Pszonka
Replied by Kathleen Pszonka on topic Marine Radio Suggestions
Good luck finding them in colors. Black or white is common. They are used for open water only because they are line of sight 10 miles tops. They don’t work on small rivers. I have a Cobra. It’s my 4 th one. They don’t last long. Many of us already have one . I don’t know if Hunter type walkie-talkie would work on rivers? The club was gifted a vhf radio years ago. No one knows where it went . Kathy

• Eileen Lenkman
  • Topic Author
More
8 months 3 weeks ago #7187 by Eileen Lenkman
Marine Radio Suggestions was created by Eileen Lenkman
Hello Paddlers

Looking for recommendations for marine radios. Considering buying four for the club -- one for lead/point, one of sweep, one for the middle and a backup.

Once we have recommendations and narrow them down, the club will vote via a survey on whether or not to purchase them.

If we could find one that comes in colors, that would be an added benefit in my mind. I'd buy a color like pink or something that no self respecting paddler would willingly use and hopefully that would prevent them from being lost. Ha ha.

Eileen

Member Login