Current River Overnight -- Sep 30 - Oct 1, 2023

• Kathleen Pszonka
More
7 months 4 hours ago #7398 by Kathleen Pszonka
Replied by Kathleen Pszonka on topic Current River Overnight -- Sep 30 - Oct 1, 2023
There are Ozark Maps at Pulltite, Round Spring and probably Echo Bluffs. Internet very spotty. Download google maps . Kathy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kathleen Pszonka
More
7 months 8 hours ago #7396 by Kathleen Pszonka
Replied by Kathleen Pszonka on topic Current River Overnight -- Sep 30 - Oct 1, 2023
I’m going down early Friday afternoon to Pulltite to get a first come campsite at Pulltite. I will have a dark grey Toyota Rav 4 and a Malone Kayak trailer. Willing to share my site . I will bring a water filter for the trip, first aide kit, throw rope. I think you can have 3 tents, 3 vehicles . Kathy 3244023038

• Carolyn Knarr
More
7 months 16 hours ago #7395 by Carolyn Knarr
Replied by Carolyn Knarr on topic Current River Overnight -- Sep 30 - Oct 1, 2023
James, sorry, your first time trip with us has gotten so complicated! Hang in there... It'll be worth it. It's a great group of people.

• Kathleen Pszonka
More
7 months 16 hours ago #7394 by Kathleen Pszonka
I spoke with the ranger at the Ozark R Scenic Waterways in Van Buren. Getting out of the river on Sunday will not be a problem Sunday. No firm gate closings( if there will be any at all) won’t be directed until Monday . She said rangers would be forgiving and no tickets would be given to any floaters getting off the river Sunday, incase of govt shutdown. Kathy 3144023038

• Dennis Strubberg
More
7 months 16 hours ago #7393 by Dennis Strubberg
Replied by Dennis Strubberg on topic Current River Overnight -- Sep 30 - Oct 1, 2023
Dave, Just letting you know something has come up and I will be cancelling on this trip.

• Dave Haessig
More
7 months 18 hours ago #7392 by Dave Haessig
Replied by Dave Haessig on topic Current River Overnight -- Sep 30 - Oct 1, 2023
This was from Dave Toby former head interpreter ranger Ozark National Scenic Riverways

Ha! Yes that’s a good question. It depends, in the past we have had “hard” shutdowns and other times we had “soft” shutdowns. During hard shutdowns they would close the river and all access points. During soft shutdowns they allowed people on the river and visitors had access to landings but no services such as trash, restrooms, and rescues in the park. I know you want a definitive answer but we won’t know until it happens. Personally, and of course I was always getting in trouble for this approach, but if I wanted to paddle the river I did. In 2018-2019 we conducted the winter paddling clinic during a shutdown and about 150 people participated in last day and first day paddling events. It was our most successful paddling event ever. You might want to call hq and see if anyone there will take a stand on this issue. Best of luck.

• Dave Haessig
More
7 months 18 hours ago #7391 by Dave Haessig
Replied by Dave Haessig on topic Current River Overnight -- Sep 30 - Oct 1, 2023
Akers to Round Springs

• Carolyn Knarr
More
7 months 1 day ago #7390 by Carolyn Knarr
Replied by Carolyn Knarr on topic Current River Overnight -- Sep 30 - Oct 1, 2023
I called them today and they didn't know anything. They couldn't even tell me if the river is off-limits if the government shuts down. I hope you get someone else on the phone!

• Kathleen Pszonka
More
7 months 1 day ago #7389 by Kathleen Pszonka
I’ll call Ozark National Scenic Waterways tomorrow and ask them their plan, instead of speculating
Kathy

• Kathleen Pszonka
More
7 months 1 day ago #7388 by Kathleen Pszonka
I’ve heard of floaters getting a ticket for floating on the river that became legally closed due to high water. It was legal when they put on and no way of knowing it became closed when they posted the following morning, as there is no phone service. That’s crazy . I don’t know about govt shutdowns. Kathy

• Carolyn Knarr
More
7 months 1 day ago #7387 by Carolyn Knarr
Should say "they were issuing citations,"

• Carolyn Knarr
More
7 months 1 day ago #7386 by Carolyn Knarr
I was just talking to Richard Spencer and he said last time there was a government shutdown they were arresting people who were floating on the current river.

• James Miller
More
7 months 1 day ago #7385 by James Miller
Replied by James Miller on topic Current River Overnight -- Sep 30 - Oct 1, 2023
Hi everyone,

Has a decision been made as to the beginning and end of the float?
1. Cedar Grove to Pulltite
2. Akers Ferry to Pulltite
3. Pulltite to Round Springs

I haven't made any reservations yet and not sure about an overnight float as this is my first with the group.

• Kathleen Pszonka
More
7 months 2 days ago #7382 by Kathleen Pszonka
They can’t stop you from taking out , but restrooms , pit toilets will likely be locked incase of govt shutdown.
I just read that MO kayaking is planning a similar trip Friday at Cedar Grove to Round Springs, Sat/Sunday. They are a real party group . Friday night camping at Cedar Grove . I paddled Cedar Grove 3 weeks ago. It was low doable in empty boats . It’s probably lower now unless they get rain. Weather will be perfect . Kathy

• Don Crawford
More
7 months 2 days ago #7379 by Don Crawford
Replied by Don Crawford on topic Current River Overnight -- Sep 30 - Oct 1, 2023
FYI, Sharing from a post on Facebook from Missouri Scenic Rivers:
There is speculation on what happens at Ozark National Scenic Riverways if the Federal Government shuts down on October 1.
According to the Washington Post, who spoke with Dept. of Interior in DC, National Parks will be shut down. ONSR is a national park. This includes campgrounds and float concessioners who have government contracts. This has happened in the past, twice that I know of.
All three of us get the official news releases from ONSR in Van Buren. If we get official news one way or another, you all will be the second to know.
Our advice right now is to make a Plan B for Sunday forward, and listen to your favorite news outlet for progress or problems on federal funding bills advancing or stalling. No one knows what plan they may come up with until it comes over as an official news release.

• Eileen Lenkman
  • Topic Author
More
7 months 3 days ago #7372 by Eileen Lenkman
Replied by Eileen Lenkman on topic Current River Overnight -- Sep 30 - Oct 1, 2023
Updated Participant List -- as of 9/25

Briana Conley
Deborah Dyle
Dave Haessig
Carolyn Knarr
James Miller
Gary Palmer
Kathleen Pszonka
Gary Strohmeyer
Dennis Strubberg

• Don Crawford
More
7 months 3 days ago #7371 by Don Crawford
Replied by Don Crawford on topic Current River Overnight -- Sep 30 - Oct 1, 2023
Sorry, I am canceling. Have a great trip.

• Edward Bayham
More
7 months 4 days ago #7369 by Edward Bayham
Replied by Edward Bayham on topic Current River Overnight -- Sep 30 - Oct 1, 2023
Due to my recent travels, I'm behind on other priorities. I'm sorry that I will have to cancel my registration.
Hope it's a great trip for everyone!
- Ed Bayham

• Dennis Pierce
More
7 months 6 days ago #7362 by Dennis Pierce
Replied by Dennis Pierce on topic Current River Overnight -- Sep 30 - Oct 1, 2023
I was really looking forward to this trip but unfortunately will not be able to make it, due to an unavoidable scheduling conflict that has come up.

• Dave Haessig
More
7 months 6 days ago #7361 by Dave Haessig
This is shaping up to be a great trip. We will likely get to see the beginning of some fall colors. We will either paddle from Cedargrove to Pulltite or Akers Ferry to Pulltite depending on flow. We will meet at Pulltite at 8:30 Saturday morning run the shuttle and start the trip. We will be camping on the river Saturday night so you need to pack your camping gear in yoi boat.

Member Login