Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe Feager
      Participant

I have been thinking of two trips that would be fun with some base camping. One is on the Missouri from Gasconade to New Haven with the possibility of a second day paddling to Washington MO. The other is a trip done several years ago on the Black River from Clearwater to Markham Springs. The Missouri trip is 23 miles and the Black River trip is 18 miles. I have not scouted either section but have paddled both in the past. My schedule, however, only allows me weekdays. I have availability the week of the 14 th to try one of them if anyone is interested.

Joe Feager

Dorine
      Participant

Thanks! I’ll stay tuned.

dstrubberg

Joe, would be interested in the Black.

Stacy Kistler
      Participant

I am interested in a weekday paddle on either of those. Hermann to New Haven is a nice, easy afternoon paddle, same for NH to Washington. Paddlestop used to run a shuttle on the MO and I’ve paddled both of those using it. I’ve asked several paddlers about camping on the MO and the advice I continually receive is that the MO doesn’t have good camping sites, and they recommend the Mississippi. I’d love to do a Miss. overnight!

DebbieDyle
      Participant

I would be interested in either of those trips. Recently did PaddleMo which did Herman to New Haven, and then New Haven to Washington. We camped in Herman, and there were good sized sand bars we stopped for lunch on both of those days.

DebbieDyle
      Participant

I would be interested in either of those trips. Recently did PaddleMo which did Herman to New Haven, and then New Haven to Washington. We camped in Herman, and there were good sized sand bars we stopped for lunch on both of those days.

DebbieDyle
      Participant

Stacy, I am game for a Mississippi trip too.

Stacy Kistler
      Participant

Hi all –
      Possible itinerary for Mississippi overnight:
      – launch from Foley Access mile 245.0 & leave vehicles there
      – day 1, paddle 11 miles to Cuivre Island & camp at site 26-1 (near mile 236)
      – day 2, paddle 16 miles to Perry Island & camp at site 26-9 (mile 220)
      – day 3, paddle 18.3 miles and take out at Ellis Bay (mile 201.7)
      – possible alternative would be to take out at the Alton Marina depending on parking (I emailed the above to Craig Heaton for advice but haven’t heard back.)

I paddled from STL to St. Gen a few years ago with a small group. Drove down to St. Gen the night before launch to drop off cars. We launched from the Meramec at the put-in near Dickerman Ct.

Joe Feager
      Participant

Well, hmmm. I need to check more often. Don’t we get notifications of responses anymore or do I not know where to set that up?

Anyway, my schedule has changed somewhat. I can still do Wednesday and Herman to NH would make a nice day trip if anyone is still interested. Camping is out the question for me now though. We could meet at NH 9:00 am to arrange shuttle. Taking it easy still gives time to drive back home and maybe dinner in NH. I don’t know what Shane charges for the shuttle but we could go that way as well and save back shuttle.

I’m hesitant at this stage about the Black as I haven’t scouted that section. Also, Markham Springs says closed for the season, if that means anything. There is a nice campground right at the put in below the dam for future reference.

Joe Feager
      Participant

Stacy, 5 of us did a trip from the Arch to Ste. Gen a few years back. It was a great trip. The river rose 13’ during that trip.

I looked at Perry island campsite today and it is a pretty steep takeout. And the river is super low today.

Carolyn Knarr

Joe, could you please clarify your plans for your Wednesday trip. Thanks.

Joe Feager
      Participant

Right now it looks like 5 people. My thoughts are to meet at 9 am at the New Haven boat ramp to arrange the shuttle to the Hermann ramp. That is about a 25 minute shuttle which should put us on the water by 10 am. It is a 16 mile paddle which gives us plenty of time to get back to New Haven. I have asked Shane how much he would charge for a shuttle but haven’t heard back at this time. I don’t have a trailer and can only carry 1 extra boat. If anyone has a trailer that would help. With a lunch stop I think we would be off the water around 2 pm depending upon how much we linger and since we would be considered slackers anyway we might as well slack. Dos Bros Mexican is open Wednesday it says on the internet so that would be an option for and early dinner. Paddle Stop Brewery is not open on Wednesday’s. Looking at the responses above I know most everyone has been through some training. Standard gear for this trip will be PFD, paddle float, pump, hat, sunscreen, spray deck, spare paddle, spare set of clothing, tow rope and lunch. I have a First Aid kit. Strongest beverage on the water is coffee. Morning temps look to be cool in the upper 30’s with a high in the mid 60’s. Water temp is about 65 today. Winds forecast to be light. I don’t think dry suits are needed but some splash gear might be comfortable at the start.

I am not receiving updates by email so even though you post here send me an email: joe dot feager at gmail.

Joe Feager
      Participant

I did hear from Shane about a shuttle. I had told him 5 boats and he said $100. Just an option.

Joe

Stacy Kistler
      Participant

Hi Joe – sorry I didn’t reply sooner. My schedule has gotten messed up this past week & next week with last-minute work travel. Now I’m not available for an overnight until 10/23 🙁

Joe Feager
      Participant

I’m not sure who all is paddling Wednesday. I have Jim Moody confirmed. Dorine and Debbie, are you still interested?

Joe

Dorine
      Participant

I will not be available for a day trip on Wednesday. Appreciate the offer.

Joe Feager
      Participant

I’m canceling this trip. I’m not feeling well enough to go.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top