St Louis Canoe & Kayak Club Forums General Discussion Forum Welcome Mat Hello, happy to be a paddler

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Barry Poulton
      Participant

My name is Barry Poulton, I joined the club last year and have attended the last 2 skills clinics. I live in Hartsburg, a little too far to attend very many meetings in person but look forward to more club events. I am a recently retired USGS aquatic scientist and have lots of previous canoe experience but just took up kayaking a few years ago, I regularly attend the Paddle-MO trips organized by Stream Teams United, a race once in a while (did the annual Bluebell race on the Bourbeuse), and river floats with friends. I wanted more group trips and joined because there is no general paddling group in the Columbia-Jeff City area. I also am active in the Ozark Fly Fishers club based out of St Louis, and volunteer with the stream team program. Hope to meet and visit with all of you at the picnic and beyond.

Randy Morgart
      Participant

WElcome to the group Barry! What kind of boat do you have? what kind of paddling do you like?
      You’ll find all types of paddlers here and if you’re not sure you are ready or your boat is right for a trip ask the trip leader, and if you post here often someone who’s going on the trip will have a boat you can borrow.

SYOTW
      Randy

Barry Poulton
      Participant

Randy – Thanks for reply. I have several kayaks ranging from 10.5 to 16 ft long, including 7 thermoformed boats (Eddyline and Delta), 4 polyethylene, and 2 composite. I have a family cabin in northern Wisconsin where I store a few of those, so I don’t need to transport back and forth so much. I paddle everywhere I have the opportunity, mostly lakes and a few slower rivers, but lots of diversity among the places I paddle – one of my favorites in central MO is the lower Osage in fall when water is low, you can paddle upstream a long ways and return with no shuttle needed. But, I don’t have a whitewater boat or experience in that, although I had considered getting a crossover because I could attend a greater diversity in trips and training. My goal is to prepare for multi-day or long weekend trips, including Ozark rivers and on large lakes/reservoirs with island camping, and coastal Great Lakes locations. I feel like I need more training and rescue practice, but aside from the skills clinic, it’s been difficult to come by since most courses and advanced kayak training in Missouri are whitewater focused. Hopefully I can fit in to some of the trips the club has planned – even though my schedule is busy, I am always looking for more.

Dorine
      Participant

There will be some club members attending paddle mo this week we hope to see you there!

Barry Poulton
      Participant

Dorine, Thanks and glad to know that some of our members will be there, looking forward to it!

Barry

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top