St Louis Canoe & Kayak Club Forums Club Sanctioned Trip Info & Comments Carlyle Lake long distance paddle

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • Author
      admin
      Keymaster

As a member of Carlyle Sailing Association (CSA) I’d like to host paddlers to go on a trip across the lake to camp at Boulder Campground. Leave cars safely in CSA parking lot, use shower house and cook out facility on return. Thinking of Mid-week in May. No launch fees at CSA. Or, just do a same day paddle across the lake. If interested please reply. Karen Pauls

admin
      Keymaster

Karen –

Sounds great! I am potentially interested in either option. Thanks for your leadership in proposing them.

Dennis Pierce

admin
      Keymaster

Thank you so much for proposing this Karen. If you would take a look at our trip listings on our web page and shoot me a date that does not conflict with the other trips already planned I will be more than happy to add this to our schedule.

admin
      Keymaster

I would be interested depending on date. The club is doing their skills June 10, so after that, more people would have the skills to do this. I was thinking about doing a similar trip . Kathy Pszonka

Eileen Lenkman

Thank you so much for this offer, Karen! I can’t do it this spring but if you offer it again in the fall, that would be great.

Eileen

admin
      Keymaster

To those of you who responded, would you still want to paddle mid-week. Weekends at the sailing club are booked so am trying to get enough people to come out between Tue to Thurs. What do you think.

admin
      Keymaster

During the school year, mid-week is more problematical for me, but could probably still do it, especially if just a one day trip.

admin
      Keymaster

I’m often available mid week, but would the water be still cold ? People would need to have clothing for immersion. I have dry suit and wet suit . May is whitewater season . Kathy

admin
      Keymaster

Dennis you and Kathy P are currently the only ones responding from CanoeKayak. I think there will be several members from CSA who will paddle with us. Let’s just say for now it’s a one day trip. The lake as Kathy says might be chilly so definitely dress for water + air temps. I would hope we don’t need to practice self rescue, but we could in the harbor, just a short distance to the warm shower house. Plan to bring a sea kayak or touring boat as the distance we travel will be over 5 miles or more depending on wind and waves.

admin
      Keymaster

June is so overbooked at CSA we can’t use the facilities. Adult sail seminar which is mid-week, junior sail camp which is all week, catamaran regatta,

admin
      Keymaster

Midweek in May is likely to work for me. Joan

admin
      Keymaster

I’d enjoy a trip like this.

admin
      Keymaster

I’d be interested and mid week would work depending on my other activities.

admin
      Keymaster

First option is May 17 a wednesday. Or 16th, or 18th.

admin
      Keymaster

All dates are good for me.

quote=”Karen Pauls” post=6706]First option is May 17 a wednesday. Or 16th, or 18th.[/quote]

admin
      Keymaster

Karen, any of those three dates should work for me. Do you have approximate start and ending times in mind?

admin
      Keymaster

Hi Dennis, what did you find at Canoecopia”? I’m trying to figure out how to register the long distance paddle at Carlyle Lake May 17th. Will connect with you for another kayak at Two Rivers National National Wildlife Refuge. Such a cool place! And you get to take a free frerry from IL river road to the site. OMG, you have to go there.

admin
      Keymaster

Hi Karen – Canoecopia – despite the canoe-centric name – was a kayaker’s paradise! Loads of free clinics and lectures by experts, and a great variety of equipment and boats (with good discounts on everything). I picked up a new Delta 16 sea kayak, which will be my boat for the big rivers, lakes, and sea (if I make it there). Am looking forward to your Carlyle Lake trip, plus Twin Rivers, if you lead a trip there. Thanks for your leadership at researching and organizing the. paddle(s). As for registering any trips, I suggest you coordinate with Club President Marty Koch.

admin
      Keymaster

I’m interested in both the Carlyle and the Two Rivers paddles if my schedule will allow. I may be able to find a Map of Two Rivers Waterfowl Area from Joe Smentowski that is helpful for navigating there.
      Thanks for posting!
      Randy

admin
      Keymaster

Marty,
      I’d appreciate help with listing the Carlyle Lake long distance paddle on May 17th. Having never posted a trip, I have not been able to find where on the website to list it.
      However, I want to post it for May 17th.
      Karen Pauls

admin
      Keymaster

I’m still interested. Tried to find it on the schedule just now and couldn’t. Count me in anyway.

Joe

admin
      Keymaster

You can fill out the form at this link https://canoeandkayak.regfox.com/trip-submission-form After you submit the trip you will be sent a link to the sign up page for your approval.

admin
      Keymaster

Hi Karen,
      I’m interested in the Carlyle Lake paddle, although I don’t have a larger boat. I appreciate your offer to loan one. I’m also interested in the Two Rivers paddle.
      Ed Bayham

admin
      Keymaster

Karen I am planning to attend the Carlyle paddle Saturday only. Jack B is interested too. What time are we going to meet? Do you have an address for the Carlyle Sailing Association? SYOTW
      Randy

admin
      Keymaster

Is this paddle on Wednesday May 17 and definitely different from the Saturday June 17 Carlyle sea kayak paddle? Or did wires get crossed and there is only one at Carlyle?
      Eleanor

admin
      Keymaster

Randy, Karen’s trip is on a Wednesday. My trip to lake Carlyle is on Saturday June 17. We will be launching from Apache ramp at 9 am. . Information is on the front page of website . Look for my trip for June 17. We can set up a car pool if interested from St Louis area . But I don’t want to confuse people , because Karen’s is a different date and place . Kathy

admin
      Keymaster

Kathy is correct. May 17th will be a pop-up trip, less structured than Kathy’s, launching out of Carlyle Sailing Association which is also in Hazlet State Park.
      9 am sounds good to start out, plan to be paddling for at least 3 1/2 hours to get across the lake, to Coles Creek or Boulder camp ground.

How soon can I post a pop-up trip?

admin
      Keymaster

Post it now.

[/tweet]Carlyle Sailing Association which is also in Hazlet State Park.
      9 am sounds good to start out, plan to be paddling for at least 3 1/2 hours to get across the lake, to Coles Creek or Boulder camp ground.

How soon can I post a pop-up trip?[/quote]

admin
      Keymaster

This is a separate trip. Different dates, different starting positions. Karen Pauls is the trip leader of this Wednesday paddle that starts at her club sailing association. Mine is on a Saturday, June 17, one week after the skills clinic, to enable people to use the skills they learned the week prior. It does conflict with the Kids paddle. Kathy

admin
      Keymaster

Thanks Kathy I am planning to catch Karen’s trip on Wed. May 17th, and will likely catch the Kids trip on June 17 if the ACA doesn’t try to rob us blind(er). SYOTW Randy

admin
      Keymaster

Will a registration link be posted soon? – Ed Bayham

admin
      Keymaster

Ed

This is a pop up so no registration

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top