Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
      admin
      Keymaster

This is the place to post information and questions about this trip.

Anonymous

Dave–
      Do you have a sense as to how long we’ll be paddling on each day? I’m having a tough time avoiding numbness in my legs/feet after about an hour of paddling. As a new paddler, I’m experimenting with different approach to seat, position, etc, etc, but growing concerned I may not be able to be able to comfortably paddle for the likely durations of this planned trip. Any info would be helpful to know if I should continue w/ the plan to go or perhaps cancel and try an overnight another time when I’m more reliably able to paddle for longer durations. Thoughts?

admin
      Keymaster

We will be paddling 6 to 8 hours each day. For your numbness you might want to try a cushion. I found that the Jackson Sweet Cheek work well. It eliminated both numbness and sciatic pain. Other people have found cushions in front of seats supporting thighs help with numbness.

Anonymous

Thanks much. I’ll be exploring these kinds of options with hopes to be able to extend my ability to paddle more than an hour….

admin
      Keymaster

I see the Big Piney trip is full. If you get cancellations I’d love to make this one. I’ll check website periodically but if you could remember I am interested that’d be great. Thanks.

admin
      Keymaster

I need to cancel this trip, so there will be 2 spots opening up. Enjoy!

admin
      Keymaster

Just checking that I am NOT registered for this trip. Please give my slot to someone else–thanks!
      Michelle

admin
      Keymaster

We had a trip registration issue where Phil and Shelly cancelled to redo and add Wes. However, even though we cancelled the first Phil and Shelly (to register group instead), we now show as being registered twice and taking up slots.

Anonymous

How “big” is the Big Piney? I’d like to go, but I also don’t want to beat up my thermoformed kayak

admin
      Keymaster

It’s mostly a narrow stream, and may have low water in areas requiring dragging, hitting rocks, gravel bottom, strainers. Kathy

admin
      Keymaster

Have you posted anything about when and where we will meet at put in or take out ?

Anonymous

Thank you, Kathy. I wish I had a boat large enough to camp & sturdy enough to get beat up a bit

Anonymous

Would be interested in meeting up if people are heading down together.

admin
      Keymaster

What time do we need to be at the put in? And where is the put in, take out? Kathy

admin
      Keymaster

We will meet at the put in at Bouling Springs Conservation Access at 8:00 ,AM.

admin
      Keymaster

Boiling Springs Campground has only 1 tent site left for Friday night . I’m sharing with Roger . Kathy

admin
      Keymaster

Kathy, Isn’t Boiling Spring Capground in Dixon on the Gasconade? I’ not aware of anyone taking over Boiling Spring Resort on the Big Piney which has a Licking address. The closest Capground I know of that is open is Wildness Ridge resort which is right by the Ross access where we will take out.

admin
      Keymaster

I saw that too, Dennis. Have called two campgrounds left messages but no luck reaching anyone. I plan to come down Friday too. With or without a reservation.
      If anyone has a reservation and can fit another tent I’m all for it. Otherwise I may just take my chances.
      Other thoughts?

admin
      Keymaster

Mark, There are two relatively inexpensive motels in Licking, that would put you about 15-20 minutes from the put-in. The next closest public campground is Lane Spring Recreation area on the Little Piney. It is off of 63 about 15 miles south of Rolla. They generally have some open first come first serve spots available. That would put you about 35-40 minutes from the put-in. I will probably go down early tomorrow afternoon and could let you know if they have anything available. I could check on a group site if enough people are interested.

admin
      Keymaster

Dennis, I would love to share a site with you if it’s available. I was hoping to be in or around Licking by 5 or 6. Hotel is a last resort.
      My cell is (973) 216-8461. Text me yours so we can connect.
      Thanks

admin
      Keymaster

Shelly and I are going to try Slabtown access tonight. There are three sites. We’ll be there before noon today. Looks like a setup in the rain, with plenty more to come. Should be good floating if not too much water. We’ll see y’all at Boiling Springs at 8A SAT.

admin
      Keymaster

Dave Haessig is unable to make this trip. Dennis and I will co lead this trip as a pop up. Same trip, without the paperwork and fees. We will still meet at Boiling Springs Conservation area at 8 am . My phone , Kathy, 3144023038 , Dennis 3149715198. There will likely be little cell service out there. It’s raining most of today and tonight, so better glow Saturday. Kathy

admin
      Keymaster

Wes is supposed to come with Shelly and I. We hope/plan to just stay at Slabtown (remain setup for tonight and tomorrow), and shuttle ourselves. Another camper at Slabtown would guarantee that we can shuttle from there for both days. We can save a spot for another camper.

admin
      Keymaster

My cel is 417-677-6301. We may or may not have reception.

admin
      Keymaster

I hate camping in the rain. My plan now is to leave early enough to meet you all at Boiling Springs Access at 8. See you all then!

admin
      Keymaster

I’m driving down to Boiling Springs conservation area early Sat morning with Roger. Seems like camping Friday night is scarce and rainy. Saturday should be nice as well as Sunday . If you have to pack a wet tent to use following night, put the main tent in a plastic bag, separate from fly, to try to keep it dry . I’m watching river gauge and all looks good . Kathy

admin
      Keymaster

Shelly and I are at Slabtown, we have it all to ourselves. We got under tarp before the big rain, but still looks like more overnight and remnants until 10A.

admin
      Keymaster

And Wes isn’t coming. I have an extra boat now that I have to lock up.

admin
      Keymaster

I’m monitoring the river gauge and it doesn’t look like any flooding , nor is flooding expected. I expect fishing to be poor with all this rain. Most of the rain should pass by Saturday 8 am, but still chance of rain, thunderstorms. https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?gage=bigm7&wfo=sgf Kathy

admin
      Keymaster

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=06930000 . It’s 9 pm. I’ll check this at 5 am before I leave STL.
      Kathy

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top